ANTICA TAVERNA - PALAZZO D'ATTIMIS (Maniago)
MORRIGAN’S WAKE Dagli Appennini all’Irlanda – Thursday 17 September
Antica Taverna Palazzo D’Attimis – h. 20.00 – Dinner concert. Entry: €35,00
How to arrive:
In case of bad weather the dinner concert will take place inside the restaurant
The Palazzo d’Attimis-Maniago, erected in Piazza Italia in the centre of Maniago, is a large 15th century building, made up of three buildings overlooking the square, the rustic outbuildings, the stables and barns, the Italian-style garden, already piled up in the Napoleonic era, and the large English-style park.
The transformation and completion of the structure as we see it today took place between 1513 and 1750. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, the family of the Lords of Maniago abandoned the old castle that stood above the town and moved to the centre of the village. The final arrangement and the embellishments of the residence were taken care of in the eighteenth century by Count Fabio I of Maniago.
It is in this splendid 18th century setting that the Antica Taverna Restaurant is located, where some of the main local products are offered, presented in a refined and traditional style at the same time.
Antica Taverna and Folkest have given life to the musical-gastronomic combination, organizing a dinner concert in the courtyard of the palace, with the wonderful view of the park. An evening of good music and a special menu for the occasion, to the notes of Morrigan’s Wake. Respecting the distances required by the decree in force, the wide spaces will allow us to spend an unforgettable evening.
Antica Taverna Palazzo D’Attimis Website
CONFESSIONI DI UN MUSICANTE – Silvio Trotta canta Branduardi – Thursday 24 of September
Hill of San Martino – h. 20.30 pm- Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the Teatro Lavvano in Piazza Marnico.
In Friulian Dartigne
Placed on the left side of the vast Tagliamento vale, right between the southern slopes of mount Cuarman and the western slopes of mount Feeit, Artegna takes a “heart shaped figure”, as Baldissera wrote in the early ‘900. It’s origns are ancient: both substancial celtic settlements and roman trade hubs were found here. Near the town center, it is possible to visit the Parco delle Rose (Rose Park) with its extraordinary all-year blooming. Passion and history alike are fundamental parts of the enogastronomic tradition too, especially norcina, recgnizable for the remarkable and “timeless” taste of its products, celebrated in late November with the traditional Festa del Maiale (Pork Fair) that takes place all around town and involves the whole community.Comune Artegna website
AURISINA (Duino - Aurisina)
BARABAN – Canti d’amore, danze e canti di guerra – Friday 18 September
Piazza davanti al Municipio Aurisina Cave – h. 20.30 – Free entry
How to get
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the gym of Aurisina Comune.
In sloveno Nabrežina.
Aurisina is, together with Duino, the main town of the municipality of Duino-Aurisina (TS), where the municipal seat is located (precisely in the suburb of Aurisina Cave).
A centre for the extraction of marble already in use at the time of ancient Rome, it was crossed by the Roman road called Gemina.
Marble was extracted from its quarries for the construction of the Mausoleum of Theodoric in Ravenna, for the construction of most of the works near Aquileia and for the construction, in more recent times, of the Redipuglia Shrine.
It is mentioned for the first time in a document of 1308 under the name of Lebrosina.
The subsequent written variants of the place name appear between the 14th and 16th centuries. In the tergestine records, referring to vineyards and olive groves on the coast, under the edge of the Karst plateau, it appears between 1308 and 1349, as Lebrosina, Lebresina, Lobrosina,Labresina, Liurisina and Aurisin, Aurisins, Auresinis, Auresinum, Aurexinum, Aurixinum, Aurisinum; the mentions referring to the village give Laurisina, Liusirina, Liurixina, Luirisinum.
The official use of the current Italian toponym dates back to 1927 (up to that date an Italian toponym was used which was traced back to the Slovenian one, that is Nabresina).
In Slovenian, the forms in official use Nabrežina, flanked by the dialectal form Nabržin, although derived from the same ancient toponym, are modified by the influence of the linguistic expression na bregu (i.e. on the edge). The municipality of Aurisina was dissolved in 1928 and merged with the municipalities of Duino, Malchina, San Pelagio and Slivia, forming the new municipality of Duino-Aurisina.Visit the website
AURONZO DI CADORE
DALLE ALPI ALLE PAMPAS con Il viaggio di Mattia e Quinteto Porteño – Sabato 1 agosto
Teatro Kursaal – ore 20.30 – Ingresso a pagamento €5,00
SWING D’IRLANDA TRADIZIONI A CONFRONTO con Green Waves e Lune Troublante – Sabato 8 agosto
Piazza Santa Giustina – ore 20.30 – Ingresso gratuito
TINA MODOTTI GLI OCCHI LE MANI con Matteo Sgobino e Nicoletta Oscuro – Lunedì 17 agosto
Piazza Santa Giustina – h 20.30
In Ladin Aurònzo or Aurònze
The municipality of Auronzo extends over a very large area, including the towns of Cima Gogna and Misurina, with the homonymous Lake Misurina. The area is crossed by the Ansiei river which, thanks to the damming of the ancient dam, forms the artificial lake of Santa Caterina, better known as Lake Auronzo. The origin of the toponym is still uncertain, but a theory to be taken into consideration brings the origin of it closer to the Eboruntii or Aboruntii, which would have been the ancient inhabitants of Cadore. The first archaeological evidence in the Val d’Ansiei that could suggest a settlement of the ancient inhabitants, mentioned before, in the Roman period was discovered in the last years of the twentieth century; although three hundred years earlier a historian named Giovanni Candido had already written in the account of his journey between Friuli and Cadore of a place called “Auronzo, where many vestiges of antiquity are seen”. In the nineties, at the Molin house in Via Tarin, the first Roman structures were found. From that moment on, the discoveries followed one another at a rapid pace: on Mount Calvario, behind the church of Santa Giustina in Villagrande, one of the most important archaeological sites in the Veneto is being excavated; a place of worship active since the 2nd century BC to the IV century AD. The inscriptions on the site demonstrate the use of the Venetian writing up to at least the whole of the 1st century AD, much later than in other places of the Venetian plain, becoming in this way the missing link for the birth of Runic writing.Comune Auronzo di Cadore website
KUJACOUSTIC – Arie virtuose dalle colline – Tuesday 23 of September
San Martino Vescovo Church – h. 20.30 – Free entry
how to get
In friulano Basandiele.
The church of San Martino Vescovo has very ancient origins in relation to the title that can date back to the Longobard age. From archive documents the first mention of the church dates back to 1404. Following the earthquake of 1511 it suffered various structural damages, restored in the following years it was consecrated in 1540. Two centuries later the church was enlarged and from 1909 to 1928 it underwent further deep interventions also in the structures. With the earthquake of May 1976 the church was severely damaged: new consolidation and similar works were started and only ended in 1995. The building, oriented, on raised ground, is an eclectic basilica with three naves and a deep presbytery, slightly lower, ending in a semicircular apse; the roof is double-pitched on the central body, made of wooden beams, tiles and tiles. Not far from the parish church, on the border with the hamlet of Zugliano di Pozzuolo del Friuli, stands the Basaldella Mill where in July 2020 the video “Folkest suona a… Basaldella” was filmed with the performance of Lino Straulino and Andrea Del Favero, who also presented his last book “Lungje, pò!” in November 2019. The presence of water mills along the Roggia di Udine, which flanks the Cormôr for a few kilometres, dates back to the first decades of the 1200s. In 1848 the number of mills between Udine and Basaldella had reached eleven and then gradually decreased. The one in Via Zugliano, which for several generations remained the property of the Del Torre family, was active until about thirty years ago and still has two cylinder milling machines and one millstones. Currently the building is owned by the Municipal Administration, which uses it for cultural and promotional activities in the area.
Campoformido Townhall website
LE.C@TENE e PERPETUUM MOBILE – Saturday 22nd August
I NOMADI – Sunday 23rd August
Taverna – h. 21.30 – Free entry
In sloveno Koper
A town with a history that goes far back in time, a seaport and trade hub for the vast inland, were the austirian-infused venetian style architecture is still preserved. The Folkest events take place in Piazza Carpaccio, where one can find Casa Carpaccio too, a gothic building dating back to the XV century, that was home to the venetian painter Benedetto Carpaccio, son of the revered Vittore; both have left a rich artistic legacy to the town. Right in the middle of the square, the Colonna di Santa Giustina is found, built in memory of the help the townsfolk lended during the victorious battle of Lepanto against the Turks in 1571. The sight to the sea is partially occluded by the Taverna, an old venetian warehouse originally used as a salt storage By the Venetian Republic and currently used as a multi-purpose event center. Cultual activities prosper in Capodistria, promoted both by the the slovenian and italian communities, namely the Comunità autogestita degli Italiani, highly regarded for the high level of events it offered in recent yearsComune Capodistria website
ENSEMBLE DU SUD – A spasso per il mondo – Tuesday 29 September
Park of Europe – h. 20.30 pm – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the Municipal Gym of Cassacco.
In Friulian Cjassà
Both the geografic and orografic placement of Cassacco were decisive factors in the settling of ancient inhabitants. The roman Via Julia one of the most important liesons between the Adriatic and the central Danube area, was fairly close. The Cassacco Castel was was a fort, a key piece of the defensive system of the vale that was never besieged nor destroyed thoughout its history. Some of its main features are the two mighty towers connected by a lower building; the place is reached via a evocative hillside path that ends near the Chiesa dell’Assunta, outside of the castle walls. Villa Gallici Deciani is also worth mentioning, built inbetween the XVII and the XVIII century. It is a manor house, with a great staircase and balaustrade, guestrooms, a small tower and a chapel, a small colannade and some labourer’s cottages. After the 1976 earthquake productive and commercial enterprises were etablished, also through the re-purposing of industrial structures.Comune Cassacco website
BLUE GRASS MUSIS – Plettri e corde sulle Alpi – Sunday 27 September
LA SEDON SALVADIE – Liendes dal Friul – Sunday 27 September
Cjase da Int – h. 17.30 pm – Free entry
In Friulian Çurçuvint
Cercivento rises at the confluence of Valcalda with the But Valley. It is divided into the inhabited areas of Cercivento di Sotto and Cercivento di Sopra and in the towns of Vidal, Cjandelin and Costa. It was a Longobard presidium and the site of a ”parish church”. Between the end of the sixteenth and the eighteenth century Cercivento knew perhaps the most flourishing moment of his history: in this period the most beautiful houses were born, including the Citars, Tiridin, Morassi, Vezzi and Pitt houses. However, economic growth arrested, at least momentarily, in 1692 – the so-called year of the flood – when a huge landslide buried the village of Centa, which stood behind today’s cemetery. In the eighteenth century the current parish was built. In 1966, due to numerous and violent rains, the Farie di Checo, the forge manufacturing symbol of the country, ceased his activity. Although damaged by the earthquake of 1976, the country with the reconstruction has preserved the typical features of the splendid historic houses that, together with the thematic artistic project Cercivento … an Open-air Bible, are a source of interest for a nascent cultural-religious tourism. Secular traditions are preserved, such as the blessing of flowers at St. John or the singing of the Cantors on December 31st. Finally the enchanting landscape of the valley floor and of Mount Tenchia, where located the celebrated Pian delle Streghe.Comune Cercivento website
HOTEL RIF – Piedirante, musica senza confine – Saturday 19 September
Piazza Monumento – h. 20.30 pm – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the Recreational Facilities area.
In Friulian Flaiban
The commune is placed in the middle Friuli, on the higher corner of the Friulana plain. The main waterway, the Tagliamento river, is the western border of the municipality, and its banks are part of the Tagliamento reserve. Various roman –time relics remain, mostly villas and storages. The name comes from the latin Flevienus, a roman citizen who settled the place right after the birth of the town of Aquileia. Many buildings all around the commune are artistically relevant and some of them still retain exemplar works from influential painters and lapicides. Villa Marangoni Masolini in San Odorico, built close to the gravelly banks of the Tagliamento, is also worth mentioning, It once was a benedictine monastery that managed the abbey and the ford, and collected the toll.
CONFESSIONI DI UN MUSICANTE – Silvio Trotta canta Branduardi – Friday 25 September
Municipal Palace Park – h. 20.30 pm – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the Teatro Verdi.
In Friulian Gurize
Gorizia lies in the point where two important ways of communication that bind the Orient and the Western parts of the world meet. These two ways are called Isonzo Valley and Vipacco Valley. The Isonzo River flows near the city of Gorizia. Gorizia faces on the isontina plain, surrounded by the Collio’s hills. These hills are famous beause of the fine wine production. The famous painter Max Klinger described Gorizia as a marvellous gateway to Italy. While walking through the town, tourists can breathe a unique atmosphere due to the peculiar meeting of several traditions.
Gorizia is the center of the most important european cultures: Latin, Slavic and Germanic that contribute to enrich the aspects of the local traditions.Comune Gorizia website
MASSIMO GIUNTINI e SILVIO TROTTA – Libero Arbitrio – Wednesday 23 september
School Garden, Via Nazionale – h. 20.30 pm – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at the Bison room in Fiumicello.
In Friulian Paparian
Fraction of the municipality of Fiumicello Villa Vicentina, recognized his identity when in 1937 the first stone of the church dedicated to Maria S.S. Regina was blessed. The building, simple and collected, was built for the tenacity of two priests, with the money and work of the entire community of Papariano, in which, after the suppression of the small family church of Andriani, commissioned by Giuseppe II, there were no places of worship. Fiumicello, born as an agricultural village of the prosperous Roman colony of Aquileia, owes his name to the Latin word flumen and mentioned for the first time (Fiumisèl) in an act of 1174. His history is intimately linked to that of Aquileia: with it it suffers the devastating invasions of the Huns, the Visigoths, the Ostrogoths, the Avars and the Longobards; with this, Papariano sees the advent of Christianity and the establishment of patriarchal power.
PIANO D'ARTA (Arta Terme)
ALESSANDRO D’ALESSANDRO – Organetto SOLO. Libere canzoni e temi onirici per organetto ‘preparato’ ed elettronica – Wednesday 30 September
VILLANDORME – La fia del paesan – Wednesday 30 September
San Nicolò degli Alzeri Church – h. 20.30 p.m. – Free entry
How to get
In case of bad weather the concert will take place to Savoia Palace
In friulano Dimplan.
Arta Terme is the only mountain spa resort in Friuli Venezia Giulia. Known since ancient times for the presence of a spring of sulphurous waters (Pudia spring), it is today a renowned spa resort with a modern wellness centre, specialised in health and wellness treatments. The spa town and its hamlets are an ideal place to rediscover an optimal psychophysical state. The spa resort is centrally located along the But Valley, easily reachable from the Amaro motorway exit. Its location makes Arta Terme an excellent starting point for wonderful walks along the paths at the bottom of the valley or among mountain huts and refuges, for excursions by bike, mountain bike or e-bike, for access to via ferrata and climbing routes, to use the ski facilities of the nearby Zoncolan area and more generally for countless outdoor activities. The same characteristic of centrality, together with the possibility to take advantage of ring routes, make Arta Terme an ideal place to visit the territory of Carnia and the Friulian mountains. It combines the beauty of the mountains with the advantages of low altitude. It is a place of historical and cultural interest (the proximity to the ancient Iulium Carnicum, the thirteenth century little church of San Nicolò degli Alzeri and the little church of S. Spirito di Chiusini containing fifteenth century frescoes are just some examples) Arta Terme and the neighbouring villages offer guests the possibility to appreciate the renowned cuisine of the territory, as well as a good variety of typical local products.
Comune Arta Terme Web site
PINZANO AL TAGLIAMENTO
ALBERTO GROLLO e FEDERICA CAPRA – Da Bach ai Pink Floyd – Tuesday 29 September
cortile delle scuole elementari – h. 20.30 p.m.- Free entry
How to get
In friulano Pinçan.
The village of Pinzano lies at the foot of the castle hill sloping down to the gravel of the Tagliamento river. The territory is immersed in an uncontaminated nature, with numerous streams flowing through woods, meadows, orchards, vineyards in which important architectural and artistic episodes are inserted. Certainly fascinating is the view that can be enjoyed from the hill where the millenary castle stood; near the Tagliamento the German mausoleum, the suggestive bridge over the river, the
historical railway station are points of considerable interest, moreover, connected by the CAI 822 path that also leads to the quiet villages on the hills. The parish church of San Martino, the parish church of S. Stefano in Valeriano and the Oratory of the Battuti conserve artistic expressions from the 12th century to the present day, including frescoes by Pordenone and sculptures by Pilacorte.
Comune Pinzano Web site
Acamar – Musica in viaggio – Tuesday 22 September
Plebiscito square – h. 20.30 – Free entry
how to get
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at Cinema Theatre of Polcenigo
In friulano Polcenic.
The strategic position of the Polcenigo territory and its natural resources have made Polcenigo a suitable place for human settlements since prehistoric times.
The archaeological finds of the Palù testify the presence of a village of pile-dwellings, dating back to the Neolithic age, which could count on the abundance of water, plants and wild animals supplied in large quantities by the wetland of the Palù and the nearby mountains. Findings from the Iron Age (I-II millennium B.C.) have also revealed the existence of a necropolis at the foot of the Colle di San Floriano, in San Giovanni.
Comune Polcenigo Web site
ROLLING AROUND – Venti d’Irlanda – Saturday 26 September
Piazza principale – h. 20.30 p.m. – Free entry
How to get
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at “Centro Lembo”
In sloveno Bardo. In friulano Lusèvare.
Alta Val Torre is nestled in the enviable scenery of the Julian Prealps, which is also home to the Natural Park of the same name. In this beautiful valley it is possible to practice sports in contact with nature and make relaxing excursions on foot, by mountain bike on paths and dirt tracks. For those who want to find refreshment from the summer heat, clear and cool streams and silent woods rich in flora and fauna allow you to spend days in perfect relaxation. But the territory of the Municipality of Lusevera also preserves history and traditions all to be known, a past that is still handed down from the old to the new generations together with peculiar events and cheerful traditional festivals that involve the community. The restaurant owners of the valley offer tastings of typical dishes, also prepared with herbs and local products, accompanied by excellent wines.
Comune Lusevera Web site
GREEN WAVES – Irlanda Mediterranea – Tuesday 24 September
Casa del Popolo – h. 20.30 pm- Free entry
In Friulian Prât di Cjargne
Prato Carnico is the main town of the Val Pesarina (Pesarina Vale) area, and typical houses that sometimes share a resemblance with venetian palaces, since the Venetian Republic used to collect timber from the area for its shipyards, are common in both the town and the surrounding hamlets. The roofs are tiled with a unique kind of flat terracotta roof tilings shaped like the small wooden bits that are commonly used to tile roofs in the mountains, here called “las planelas”. Pesariis is the most notable village, known for the skill of its watchmakers since the XVII century. Truia is just a small hike away from Stavioli Orias, one of the most fascinating places in Val Pesarina: here, more than a dozen of ancient farmsteads that used to serve as kettle shelter are still present.Comune Prato Carnico website
SUONNO D’AJERE – Winner of Alberto Cesa Award 2019 – Thursday 1 October
Sala consiliare – h. 20.30 p.m. – free entry
how to get
In sloveno Podbonesec.
In friulano Pulfar.
Pulfero, located along the course of the Natisone River, is near the border with Slovenia. The territory is characterised by the valley floor, crossed along its entire length by the Natisone and enclosed by mountain slopes, among which those of Mount Mia and Matajur stand out. The landscape offers numerous sites of environmental interest, which can be reached through a network of paths and itineraries that are easy to follow. The main attraction is undoubtedly the Grotta di San Giovanni d’Antro, already an enchanting location for Folkest events, which encloses a unique synthesis of history, culture, art, religion and nature in a historical-monumental complex and underground route. Other pearls are the small votive churches that, scattered throughout the territory, often offer the hiker in exploration in the woods very suggestive corners. The Natisone river, which in the territory of the municipality of Pulfero has the only bathing stretch of its entire course, has fabulous views with its green colour and the gentle flow of its waters. The territory also presents significant evidence of the history and culture of the Natisone Valleys, such as the Slab of the Banca di Antro, symbol of the self-government of the Venetian Schiavonia above Cividale, and the fountains built by the Cavalleggeri di Alessandria during the First World War.
Comune Pulfero Website
LA QUADRILLA – Corde grosse, tamburi, ance e plettri – Saturday 26 September
Casa Candussi – h. 2o.30 pm – Free entry
In Friulian Romans dal Lusinç
Romans is a commune in the eastern province of Gorizia in Friuli, located near the confluence of three rivers: Versa, Judrio and Torre. Its territory includes the hamlets of Versa and Fratta too. The first evidence of existing settlements in the area regard a particular kind of pre-historic fortification called “castelliere”. Traces of roman rural settlements have been found, but the most important historical presence in the area was longobard, as indicated by one of the biggest longobard necropoleis in northern Italy. The Civico Museo Archeologico (archeologic civic museum) in Romans and the Parco Didattico Archeologico (acheologic didactic park) about the necropolis can be visited. In May a reenactement event (Romans langobardorum) takes place in Romans. Also notable are the Fiera di Santa Elisabetta (Saint Elizabeth’s Fair) and the Sagre dal Dindiat, a fair where people compete about the weight of their giant turkeys. The Carnival in Romans is worth noting too, since it comprises a parade with carnival floats and masquerades.Comune Romans d’Isonzo website
SAN GIORGIO DELLA RICHINVELDA
MARCO SFORZA – Canzoni a mezza pensione – Tuesday 22 September
DANIELE D’AGARO & THE DIXIELAND STRUMBLERS – Tuesday 22 September
Garden of the Civic Library – h. 20.30 pm – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place in the Don Bosco Theatre.
In Friulian San Zorç da la Richinvelde
The perimeter of the municipality is drawn to the east by the Tagliamento river and by the Meduna river to the west: thus, it is a natural and uncontaminated territory, rich in protected flora and fauna. The Municipality hosts one of the most important sacred places in Friuli, the “Richinvelda”, where the greatest among the Patriarchs of Aquileia, Bertrando of Saint Geniès, was assassinated. Along the road that leads from Spilimbergo to Zoppola, between the towns of San Giorgio della Richinvelda and Rauscedo, stands the small church of San Nicolò where the patriarch of Aquileia Bertrando died on 6 June 1350. The little church preserves an altar of Pilacorte and in the immediate sorroundings, in the exact place where he was assassinated, there is a memorial stone erected in memory of the event, visible near the church. Rauscedo is a fraction of the municipality and is known for the production of “barbatelle” (small graft vines). In the hamlet of Pozzo there is the museum of the rural civilization, with a collection of instruments of the past, typical of the rural community.Comune San Giorgio della Richinvelda website
TOCODEBANDA – In ‘sta via e dintorni – Sunday 20 September
Centro sportivo Nieder- h. 17.30 pm – Free entry
In German Zahre, in Friulian Sauris
According to a legendary tale Sauris founded long ago by two German soldiers who, fleeing the war, hid in the territory on which the current town stands. According to historical data, the first residential nucleus would have been created in the XIII century following the immigration from some valley of nearby Austria. A significant importance in the history of Sauris covered by the construction of the Val Lumiei hydroelectric plant and his dam, between 1941 and 1948. The artificial lake submerged the town of La Maina, of which the ruins remain under water. In Sauris one speaks again, next to the Italian and the Friulian, an ancient and fascinating language, a German dialect belonging to the linguistic group of the southern Bavarian. The Sauran language (de zahrar sproche) has been affected by contact with neighboring populations over time, but still retains many archaic traits derived from German spoken in the thirteenth century (mittelhochdeutsch). Sauirs is a center rich in cultural and gastronomic traditions of great quality, with a top-order tourist proposal, to which the new structure of the Sports Center has recently been added.Comune Sauris website
VARIOUS ARTISTS – From 2 to 5 September
Concerts will take place at the Miotto Theater and Tadea Palace.
In Friulian Spilinberc
The small town near Pordenone was made of capital importance in the music scene by the presence of Folkest, but was also the birthplace of neo-realist photography and the famous mosaic school, where new talents are born every year. The town and many of the hamlets are dotted with monuments. The cathedral, a rare example of gothic architecture from Friuli, is rich in both paintings and sculptures, and the nearby castle that belonged to the dukes of Spilimbergo deserves adequate attention too, as Corso Roma does: a boulevard that runs through the ancient gate of the castle walls with its two towers. The San Giovanni Battista church and its realistic crucifiction scenes, the San Giuseppe and San Pantaleone churches, the San Antonio Abate church in Barbeno, the parish in Tauriano with St Cristopher painted on the facade, the parish in Baseglia with frescos by Amalteo and the sculptures by Pilacorte in the Gaio church make Spilimbergo une of the artistically richest communes in Friuli. Heavily industrialized after World War Two,it is now the reference point for a wide area on the right bank of the Tagliamento.Comune Spilimbergo website
TRAMONTI DI SOPRA
LA MESQUIA – L’àrbol e altre storie – Sunday 27 September
Area Sala Polifunzionale, via Monte Rest – h. 21.15 – Free entry
In case of bad weather the concert will take place at Sala Prealpi, via Monte Rest
In friulano Tramonç Disore.
The suggestive and uncontaminated landscape, the blue of the lakes, the high peaks drawn by the wind and the ancient traditions make Tramonti di Sopra the ideal destination for mountain lovers and for those who fully appreciate nature. A dense network of paths unravels from the town, exploring the Friulian Dolomites Natural Park, and leads to places of incomparable beauty where the Meduna torrent forms the Emerald Pozze Smeraldine whose emerald green colour has won the hearts of many and in particular of the journalist Michele Tameni who has included them among the most fascinating hydrological sites in Italy; but above all they have been ranked fourth among the 10 most beautiful places to swim in Italy, published in the famous English tabloid “The Guardian”. Looking up above the Pozze you can admire the Frascola’s Eagle, a mountain in the shape of an eagle that seems to take flight from one moment to the next. Added to the beauty of the area are the authenticity of local products such as Pitina IGP, a product of excellence of the local gastronomy, and the peculiarity of its villages which represent the typical way of life of the valley, where the history of the past is perceptible and blends harmoniously with that of the present.
Comune Tramonti di Sopra Website
IRKUTSK, STAZIONE DI IRKUTSK con Alberto Vidon, ROberto Pagura e il gruppo Carantan – Tuesday 11 August
TITE GRISON Musicist, pitor, mestri, fotografo, ingignir – Lunedì 31 agosto (Piazza Venerio), Thursday 3 September (Cussignacco)
piazza Venerio – h. 21.00 – Free entry
In Friulian Udin
Historically the capital city of Friuli, Udine offers to Folkest one of its best frames: the patriarchal castle where the Hall of the Friuli Parliament (probabliy one of the first proofs of democratc life in Europe) is still preserved and adorned by one of the most famous Tiepolo paintings. The church of St Mary (VII century) and the Casa della Contadinanza (peasants’ hall), a 1931 reconstitution of a XV century bulding where the peasants held meetings, where both built on the same hill as the castle was. The place that used to be called called Piazza San Giacomo (St Jack’s Square) or Piazza delle Erbe (Herb’s Square) , now called Piazza Giacomo Matteotti , was a trading hub of pivetal importance to the townsfolk, and in recent times underwent a meticulous renovation both of the paving and the fountain by Giovanni da Udine. In Udine, many works of interest by Tiepolo can be found, from the Palazzo Partiarcale (Patriarch’s Palace) to the Cappella della Purità (Chapel of Purity). The beautiful Piazza Libertà (Liberty Square), together with the fifteenth century Loggia del Lionello, the sixteenth century Loggia di San Giovanni and the Belltower by Giovanni da Udine is thought to be one of the most iconic examples of venetian architecture right after San Marco in Venice. The building of Santa Maria Annunziata cathedral, residence of the last patriarchs from Aquileia, started in 1236 where another place of warship already was, and was decoreted with altarpieces and frescos by Gian Battista Tiepolo.Comune Udine website
VERGNACCO (Reana del Rojale)
TERRE DEL SUD -Dalla Majella ai Trabocchi – Saturday 19 September
Vergnacco Sculpture Park – 20.30 pm – Free entry
In Friulian Vergnà (Reane)
The municipality of Reana overlooks the Carnic and Julian Prealps, is bordered by the Torre river to the east, and consists of eight inhabited areas: Reana, Qualso, Zompitta, Cortale, Vergnacco, Valle, Remugnano (municipal seat), Ribis, Rizzolo. A settlement with the name of Verniacum, corresponding to the current hamlet of Vergnacco, which could derive from the proper name Vernus or Vernius, is already mentioned in the 13th century. The church, dedicated to Saints Thomas and Mark, is attested as existing in a document dated 1360. Very interesting is the sculpture park where every year an important international sculpture symposium takes place, which is now in its twenty-second edition.Comune Reana del Rojale website
NA FUOIA – Foglie di tradizione – Friday 25 September
Chiesa parrocchiale – h. 20.30 p.m.- Free entry
How to get
In friulano Verzegnis
Verzegnis is a mystical and magical place where history and tradition alternate. Surrounded by beech and conifer woods, authentic green pearls, Verzegnis is a historic place where you can discover jewels such as the Pieve di San Martino, or the local Antica Osteria Stella d’Oro, once Cossack headquarters in Carnia. The magnificent lake of Verzegnis and the historical quarry of the precious red marble are also part of this. The Art Park in Egidio Marzona, a contemporary art park dedicated to minimalism and Land Art, is also a good example.
Comune Verzegnis website
- Folkest 2021
- Folkest history
- Folkest 2020
- Folkest 2019
- Folkest 2018
- Folkest 2017
- Folkest 2016
- Folkest 2015
- Folkest 2014
- Folkest 2013
- Folkest 2012
- Folkest 2011
- Folkest 2010
- Folkest and its numbers
- Folkest posters
- Who we are